WooHa Rauch n'Roll Porter Beef Stew
As the evenings draw in, the temperatures drop and everyone is staying at home and looking to embrace “Hygge”, nothing sets the mood more than a hearty stew slowly cooking away all day long.
What better feeling than to come in cold from a walk and know that dinner is already done.
WooHa’s smooth, dark and smoky Porter works perfectly in this dish to complement the earthy beef and add depth of flavour.
The beauty of stew is that no two are ever exactly the same, you can add a bit of this and that, depending on what you’re feeling or what’s in the cupboard.
Here’s the base recipe, but why not spice it up with some Chili’s, Moroccan spices, or put it in a dish after and top with puff pastry for a tasty pie?
700g stewing beef
200g baby button mushrooms
300g shallots, peeled
500ml WooHa Porter
2T balsamic vinegar
1 bag casserole mixed veg (carrots, swede, potato, parsnip etc)
Few sprigs of Rosemary and Thyme
2T Worcestershire sauce
1 beef stock cube
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Brown the meat in small batches on a medium/high heat and put in the slow cooker
2. In the same pan, brown the onions, then mushrooms, again in small batches so they caramelise and don’t steam. Transfer to slow cooker
3. Deglaze the pan with 100ml Porter and the balsamic vinegar. Be sure to scrape all those crunchy flavour bombs off the bottom of the pan. Pout into the slow cooker when reduced by half.
4. Put the rest of the ingredients in the pot and cook on slow for 8 hours/high for 4 hours.
5. If you do not have a slow cooker, you can do the same with a casserole dish in the oven, just cook for 3-4 hours at about 160 until the meat is tender and pull-a-party
Stock up for your store cupboard today.